The Oakland opossum may not have that adorable look but once you have a taste of its meat, you will definitely be surprised by the result. You will be looking at the California opossum differently once you try the recipes in this article. A lot of people think that there is absolutely nothing beneficial about this creature. By following the recipes, it is an opportunity to have a taste of the unique chunky taste of the opossum.
Pot Pie Possum
If you are planning to do this at the comfort of your own home, you will need a 1 large size possum, cleaned, gutted and cut into small pieces. You will also need glazed huckleberries, moonshine or gin, pie crust, cabbage, and carrots.
1. Start by preheating the oven at a temperature of 350-degrees Fahrenheit
2. Arrange the lower part of the crust on the pan and place the sliced meat of the opossum.
3. lace the sliced cabbage, carrots and the huckleberries above the meat.
4. Cover it with the upper portion of the crust and then bake it for at least 30 minutes.
5. Remove it from the oven, slice and serve it.
Sweet Potatoes and Possum
Just like the dish above, you will also need the meat of the Oakland opossum. You will also need to prepare, pepper, salt, water, flour, sweet potatoes, and sugar.
1. Preheat your oven at a maximum temperature of 350-degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Clean the meat of the opossum and remove the excessive fat.
3. Wash the meat with warm water and then allow it to dry.
4. Rub the meat of the opossum with pepper and salt to add taste.
5. Place the meat of the opossum in roasting pan.
6. Add some water enough only to cover the meat. Bake it for about 45-60 minutes.
7. Peel the sweet potatoes and split it into two. Surround the meat of the opossum with sweet potatoes.
8. If needed, try to add more water to adequately cover the potatoes.
9. Cover it and cook the dish for another 30 minutes.
Aside from the meat of the opossum, you will need cold water, salt, beef cubes, bay leaves, celery, and onions.
1. Soak the meat of the opossum in the mixture of cold water and salt for at least 10 hours.
2. After this, you should rinse the meat and then place it inside the refrigerator.
3. Preheat your oven at about 350-degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Prepare your packaged stuffing (at least 14 oz) based on the instruction on the packaging.
5. Close the cavity securely
6. Put the stuffed opossum in a pan and add the onion, celery, bay leaves and beef cubes. Add water and bake it for at least 2 hours then turn the meat on the other side. Reduce the temperature to 100 degree Fahrenheit before cooking it for another hour.
For those who want to give these recipes a try, you can guarantee that you will be able to enjoy the different taste of this meat. If you have more opossum recipes that you want us to try, send us a message or leave it at the comment section.
Visit our Oakland wildlife removal home page to learn more about us.